Drug addiction treatment can help the body recover and get better. While some damages may be irreversible, going through treatment is still important so that you can be healthier as compared to when you were using drugs.
People who have been taking drugs often ask themselves if they will ever feel healthy again. There are several factors to consider before the answer to that question can be determined. But surely, when you go through drug addiction treatment, the drugs will be removed from your system and your body can start to heal.
Related article: Top Effective Drug Addiction Treatments You Need to Know
Negative Effects of Illicit Drugs
Illicit substances can harm your body if you’ve been using them frequently and in heavy doses. Here are some examples of how various drugs negatively affect your body.
- Alcohol – You may develop heart and stomach issues with heavy alcohol abuse. You may also experience muscle cramps. Other damages include issues in the digestive tract, immune system, muscle and skeletal system, and liver and pancreatic issues.
- Cocaine – Cocaine use can cause insomnia, problems with the nasal passage, difficulty in swallowing, as well as gastrointestinal problems.
- Heroin – Since heroin is usually injected in the body, it can cause abscesses, infections, arthritis, and collapsed veins.
- Meth – This drug can cause dental problems, insomnia, problems in the heart, liver, and lungs.
It may take some time for your body to repair itself. But with a better lifestyle, your body will eventually get better. Here are some of the factors that will determine how fast you will feel healthy again:
- How many years have you been taking the drug?
- What drug/s were you using?
- How much of the drug did you use?
- What method of detox did you complete?
- Do you regularly attend individual therapies and group counselling?
By answering these questions honestly, you will gain insight into the length of time you’re going to need so that you can regain your health. To help you better understand how long it’s going to take to recover, you can also discuss these questions with your healthcare provider. It’s important to know how long the drug addiction treatment will be so that you can sufficiently prepare for it.
What to Expect During Drug Addiction Treatment?
When you’re recovering from drug addiction, know that it’s going to be an extensive and lifelong journey. The drug addiction treatment may last for several months. However, the fight to resist going back to your old habits is going to be a daily battle.
Recovery from drug addiction does not end when the substance has been removed from your system. That is just the start of your recovery journey. Some important parts of drug addiction treatment are learning how to build a strong foundation for a healthier lifestyle and practicing better coping mechanisms and behaviours.
As a recovering addict, you know that the drugs have affected your body and health. It is something that you can feel in you. It’s either you’ve lost or gained weight. Maybe you easily feel tired or that you sleep a lot or sleep very little. In any case, your body has been suffering because of drug addiction.
Drug abuse negatively impacts your mental and physical health. It is important for both to heal. Going through a drug addiction treatment will help address your poor nutrition, sleep habits, and lack of exercise. Addressing these will help you feel better. When you feel good, then you will also have a more positive outlook on life.
Benefits of Completing a Drug Addiction Treatment Program
When you enter a drug addiction treatment program, you will have a chance to break free from the bad habits of drug use. You will go through detox and the body can get rid of the drugs in your system. Apart from that, you will learn new useful strategies to combat the desire to go back to drugs. It’s an opportunity for you to start your life anew. Here are some of the benefits of completing a treatment program.
- Breaking the Cycle of Addiction – When you are in the treatment program, you will be in an environment that is drug-free. The people there will hold you accountable for your actions. You will meet people with similar problems with drug use and are also going through recovery. You can learn from each other about how you can improve your life.
- Learning About Addiction – After the detox phase of your treatment, you will have the chance to think better and more clearly. At this point, you can start learning more about your addiction. You can understand the cravings, habits, and behaviours surrounding the drug use better. When you understand why you do what you do, it will be easier to control your destructive behaviours.
- Understanding Any Underlying Issues – The reasons why people get addicted to drugs can vary. But for you to successfully get rid of the bad habit of using drugs, it’s best if you understand the reason why you took drugs. Was it to deal with problems and stress for example? If that’s the case, then it’s time to learn about healthier ways to cope with stress and deal with problems effectively.
- Building New Habits – Drug use can cause you to neglect your body and your health. It is something that you can learn again while you’re in a drug addiction treatment program. You can learn how to eat healthy foods, go to sleep at the right time, and exercise regularly so that you can boost your immune system. It’s a chance for you to take care of yourself by building new habits that are healthy and good for you.
The body suffers greatly when you abuse illicit substances. Don’t wait for the worst of the consequences to appear before you seek treatment. Get help today for yourself or for someone you know who is going through a tough time with their drug abuse problem.