Addiction Rehab Toronto is proud to offer online counselling as part of our Relapse Prevention Program.
We will provide online counselling therapy sessions every week where clients will be able to discuss any difficulties in sobriety maintenance.
If you attended our treatment program for 30 days or more, you qualify to receive Online life-time aftercare counselling at no additional cost.
Our standards of practice and ethics will be the same, just as if counselling would take place at our facility. You will receive the same level of therapy, care, and treatment online.
This program is intended for clients that have attended our program from outside of the Greater Toronto Area; those who find it difficult to come on site and meet in-person. This way we are able to stay connected and work with you on your sobriety maintenance.
We will also continue to provide four in-person aftercare counselling sessions per week at our facility as part of our life-time aftercare guarantee.
The sessions will include themes and topics such as maintaining your relapse prevention plan, motivation for sobriety, triggers, self-care, etc.
Benefits of Online Counselling
Web counselling is easily accessible and available to those who have a computer or laptop, internet connection, and a microphone. It is beneficial to have a web camera however it is not absolutely necessary. Most laptops have a microphone built in and should be sufficient enough to establish a talk therapy session. We also provide the option of joining the online meeting through a phone call, this way, if you are unable to set up your computer for online aftercare, you can join by dialing a number given to you before the counselling session begins.
The barriers that come with having to meet in person are no longer here.
Those living in rural or remote suburban areas where there is no counselling service nearby can benefit from the convenience of online counselling. Those who have anxiety speaking or coming to a treatment facility will benefit from this service as well.
Web counselling is now showing to be more affordable. Commuting expenses, paying for a babysitter, having to leave work early, etc. is no longer an barrier to getting help.
Those who experience a stigma with receiving in-person therapy, online counselling is a solution that will allow access to help. Clients may be more comfortable opening up and speaking their mind from the comfort of their own home.
While there are many benefits of online counselling, it has been criticized that important verbal and non-verbal cues are missing. There is also the difficulty with those who struggle technologically. Therefore we recommend, if possible, to attend treatment in-person.
Addictions and Mental Health practitioners have an ethical responsibility to maintain and protect confidentiality of clients.
Tips for Online Counselling:
- Be prepared. The day your counselling session is about to start, take the time to prepare beforehand. If you have technical issues or poor wifi, you will lose valuable counselling time. Your therapist will wait for you, but they may have another session right after.
- Proper lighting. It may be better for the therapy session if the counsellor can see you, make sure there is enough lighting in the room.
- Follow Web Conferencing Platform Instructions. When it is confirmed that you will be attending the therapy sessions, follow the instructions to set up accordingly. We have provided an instructional video link that will display how to set up properly. Make sure your ad blocker is turned off if you have one and close any unnecessary programs.
- Ensure no interruptions. If you live with others, find a location where you won’t be bothered and you will have uninterrupted time. If you need to, let people know ahead of time that you will be occupied during your therapy session.
- If you can, use headphones. This will make sure you hear the therapist clearly and get rid of background noise. If you have headphones with a microphone attachment and you are using your laptop, if you plug it into the headphone jack, the microphone on your headphones or earbuds will likely work as well.
- Have a drink nearby. Bring water, tea, coffee or any drink you can have in order to have no interruptions.
- Eat before, not during the session. You may feel comfortable eating while chatting with friends and family online however this can be a major distraction during your therapy session.
- Have tissues nearby. You may experience and need to confront difficult emotions, it is common that therapy triggers anxiety, stress, fear, that can lead to emotional cleansing.
- Turn off or silence your cellphone. This is a common distraction and can negatively affect the quality of your therapy session. Turn off your cellphone or place it on silences so it does not distract you. Also, turn off pop-up notifications on your computer or laptop.
- Use the washroom before attending the therapy session. This way the time assigned for therapy will be uninterrupted.
If you would like to receive in-person outpatient counselling or are interested to hear more about our program, don’t hesitate to call us at +1 (855) 787-2424