For many people with alcohol addictions, recovery cannot happen without a little bit of help. The extent of help needed depends on you and your circumstances. Some people can manage by going to detox and then taking off to a quiet place with some loved ones who are committed to giving them the support they need. Others need the consistency of daily or weekly appointments at an outpatient rehab facility, and others discover that they have to go to an inpatient addiction treatment facility, where they will be completely isolated from the stresses of the real world.
Unfortunately, we do not live in a world where we can simply choose whatever addiction treatment is best for us. We have to consider what we can afford and how we will pay for it. In this article, we will go over some addiction treatment options in Toronto and some of the factors that can affect the cost.
What Alcohol Addiction Treatment Options Are There In Toronto?
Alcohol addiction treatment in Toronto ranges from free to several thousand dollars per month, depending on what kind of treatment you get and the nature of the facility. It is important to note that emergency medical services are available to all Ontario residents at any time, without any out-of-pocket costs. Financial status and income level should not be a consideration if you are deciding whether to seek medical help in an alcohol overdose or withdrawal emergency.
Rapid Access Addiction Medicine
There are several rapid access addiction medicine (RAAM) clinics throughout Ontario. You can visit a RAAM clinic with no appointment or referral. They are staffed by doctors and addiction counsellors who can assess and diagnose addictions, prescribe medications to help with cravings and withdrawal symptoms, provide counselling, and give you information about treatment options.
The goal of the RAAM clinics is to help stabilize you and then refer you to a longer-term addiction treatment program. RAAM clinics are funded by the Ontario Health Insurance Program (OHIP), which means there is no out-of-pocket cost for Ontario residents.
Inpatient Addiction Rehab Services
Inpatient rehab is what most people picture when they think about alcohol addiction treatment. This is for good reason: when followed up with a good aftercare program, inpatient rehab can be extremely effective.
If you select this method of treatment, you live in the rehab facility for a period of time, and you follow a routine that includes therapy, mealtimes, recreational time, exercise, and other elements of treatment. One of the primary benefits is that you are in a place where you can put all of your focus into your recovery, without having to worry about the stresses and challenges of the outside world. Other benefits include the following:
- You don’t have access to substances you may be craving
- You are temporarily distanced from relationships that may have enabled your addiction
- You have 24/7 access to support for physical and mental health crises that may arise during rehab
- All barriers to attending your treatment sessions are removed: you don’t have to worry about transportation, time constraints, or any other logistics
- You are living with people who, while having their own unique journeys, can relate to the challenges of addiction and recovery
- You have support while you get used to following a routine and holding yourself accountable for getting to your appointments
As effective as inpatient alcohol addiction treatment is, it is not a viable option for a lot of people. In order to check into inpatient rehab, you need the ability to step out of your life for weeks at a time. If you don’t have the financial means either to fund private rehab or take an extended leave of absence from your job, you may be able to opt for outpatient addiction rehab.
In this mode of treatment, you continue to live at home and participate in all aspects of your regular life. You attend a series of appointments with therapists, counsellors and doctors, and you may be given “homework” to do between sessions. Outpatient rehab can be effective if you have a high level of discipline and motivation to attend the sessions, and if you have strong support from friends and family members.
Some benefits of outpatient treatment include the following:
- You can undergo treatment for alcohol addiction with little or no disruption to your work or studies
- You have access to your loved ones, who can provide invaluable support
- You can immediately apply what you learn in treatment to the outside world, without having to go through a transitional period between “rehab” and “life”
- As challenges arise in various aspects of your life, you can take them to your therapy sessions and they can be dealt with as they arise
What Factors Affect The Cost Of Alcohol Addiction Treatment?
It is impossible to say definitively how much alcohol addiction treatment will cost you in Toronto. There are government-funded options available, such as the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH). Downsides to these facilities are that they often have long wait lists, and the services offered may be more limited than what you would find in a private facility. However, government-funded alcohol addiction treatment is still an excellent resource for people with limited financial means.
Some factors that affect the cost of private alcohol addiction treatment are as follows:
- Whether you are going to an inpatient or outpatient facility
- How long your treatment will last
- Whether the facility offers basic amenities such as dorm accommodation and cafeteria-style food, or luxury amenities such as private rooms and chef-prepared meals, or something in between
- The number of treatment modalities offered
- The recreational options on offer
- Whether you need specialized treatment or prescribed medication for a coexisting condition
What If I Can’t Afford It?
Not having the financial means to pay for the alcohol addiction treatment option that you feel is best for you can create a difficult conflict. OHIP currently does not provide coverage for private addiction treatment, so if you go that route you will need to find an alternative funding source. Some avenues you can explore include the following:
- Find out if your medical insurance company will cover all or part of the cost of inpatient or outpatient rehab
- Ask the facility about payment plans
- Find out if your employer has an employee loan program that you can make use of
- Talk to trusted close loved ones
A Compassionate Approach To Alcohol Addiction Treatment In Toronto
Addiction Rehab Toronto offers comprehensive alcohol addiction treatment that is customized to each individual. Following a holistic approach that considers your physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and cultural needs, we will put together a treatment plan just for you, that will help you learn the skills and tools to cope with the stresses of life without needing alcohol. Call us today for more information.